Welcome to The Hopetoun Practice at Bellevue Medical Centre.
We regret that, due to high numbers of recent registrations, we are currently unable to accept any new patients onto our list. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
NEWSFLASH: The drive-in Flu clinic scheduled to take place Saturday 3rd October has been cancelled due to predicted adverse weather. At the time of writing, the Sunday clinic (4th October) will go ahead as planned. Updated 2/10/20
Influenza (Flu) Vaccinations
The delivery of flu vaccinations this year will be considerably different to previous years, when they were mainly administered by your GP practice. For the 2020-2021 season, flu injections will be organised centrally by NHS Lothian. The vaccination campaign for adults and children in high risk groups will start towards the end of September 2020. In addition, adults between the ages of 55 - 64 (by 31/3/21), who would not normally have been eligible in previous years, will also be offered flu vaccination, but this will not begin until December 2020.
Please note that your GP surgery has no part in the organisation of this year's flu clinics, so if you have any comments, positive or negative, please direct these to the following email address:
The arrangements for how you will get your flu vaccine this year differ for children and adults, and the details are as follows:
- Adults who are not normally housebound (i.e. can get out to the shops, hairdresser etc) - flu vaccination will be available via drive-through clinics for those who have access to a vehicle. For non-drivers, cyclists, or other individuals who do not have access to a vehicle, walk-through clinics will be provided. Dates and times of your local drive-through and walk-through clinics for the Hopetoun Practice can be found by clicking on this NHSInform link, and following the simple guide. If you'd prefer to speak to someone to find out when and where your local flu clinics are taking place, you can also call the National Flu Vaccination Helpline on 0800 222488. Clinics may have to change, or be cancelled, due to unforeseen circumstances like adverse weather or staff illness, and if possible NHS Lothian will alert us in advance, and we will post it here as soon as we know about it. They have advised that it would be sensible not to rely on one single date or time-slot, for this reason, so if you are planning to attend a clinic, please check our website a day or two before.
- If you are unable to attend either a drive-through, or walk-through clinic, you will be able to obtain your NHS flu vaccination at a local pharmacy, but because of the scale of the campaign this year, to avoid pharmacies being overwhelmed, this option should be seen as a last resort. A list of pharmacies providing this service in NE Edinburgh can be found here (Pharmacies Offering Flu Vaccination) but please make every effort to attend your nominated drive-through or walk-through clinic.
- Housebound adults - flu vaccination will be administered in the home by community nursing staff
- Children - arrangements for children's flu vaccinations can be found on NHSInform. Alternatively, if you'd prefer to speak to someone, you can also call 0800 22 44 88
Information about flu vaccination in languages other than English, including British Sign Language, can be found HERE
If neither you, nor anyone else who lives with you, has any Coronavirus symptoms, but would like further general information about COVID-19, please navigate to NHSInform.
If, however, you, or anyone else who lives with you, have developed a FEVER and/or a NEW CONTINUOUS COUGH and/or LOSS OF TASTE OR SENSE OF SMELL, no matter how mild the symptoms, you must assume that you have Covid-19 until proven otherwise, and arrange testing. To find out exactly what you and your household must do, please follow the advice on the NHSInform website. You do not need to speak to a doctor or NHS24 - please just follow the instructions and go straight into self-isolation whilst you wait for your test result.
If your symptoms become very severe during self-isolation (such as difficulty breathing or severe shortness of breath), or if they continue to make you feel ill beyond a period of 7 days, please TELEPHONE NHS24 on 111. This is essential to deal with your situation in a safe and co-ordinated manner.
Do NOT call, or attempt to come to, the Practice if you have any Covid-19 symptoms.
Suspension of Normal Practice Working Arrangements
- For the foreseeable future, in order to keep our building free of Coronavirus, our GPs will be operating a system of total telephone triage. This means that the building will remain in lockdown, and that all GP appointments will be dealt with by telephone and/or video link. When you call for a GP appointment, you will be allocated a telephone slot to discuss your problem with one of the GPs. You will only then be allocated a face-to-face appointment in the surgery if your GP, after speaking to you, feels that he or she needs to examine you, or perform some other physical task that is impossible remotely.
- Please remember that most minor ailments can be dealt with by following advice from NHSInform, and/or your local Pharmacy, so please consider this before making an GP appointment.
- Repeat prescriptions will no longer be collectable from the Practice, but will be sent direct to a nominated pharmacy. Please indicate your pharmacy of choice when ordering prescriptions. Please use our online ordering system if possible, or post a written request through our letterbox.
- Nurse appointments will continue face-to-face, much as before, without initial telephone screening. You must obviously cancel pre-booked nurse appointments should you develop any of the Coronavirus symptoms described above.
- Medical certificates (“Sick Lines”) will be posted to patients and will no longer be collectable from the Practice.
Welcome to our website, where we hope you will find all the information you need in order to make the most of our services.
We operate from modern, purpose-built premises that house two separate Practices. On entering the building, The Hopetoun Practice is the Reception to the left, whilst The Annandale Practice is the Reception to the right. Please ensure that you come to the correct Reception in order to avoid any confusion!
Disabled access to the Medical Centre is via a ramp from either the small car park on Annandale Street Lane, or alternatively, the footpath on Huntingdon Place. All areas of the building are at ground-floor level, and there are male and female toilets for the disabled immediately opposite the entrance. Please note that parking is very limited around the Medical Centre, so we would encourage our non-disabled patients to avoid travelling to the surgery by car if at all possible.
Please use the menu above to navigate around our site, and to find out information about our opening times, surgery times, and things like how to order repeat prescriptions etc.
Please click on Further Information, then use the menu to the right to access information about services and organisations outwith the Practice that you may find useful. This contains, amongst other things, self-referral forms for Physiotherapy and Podiatry (also known as Chiropody), where you do not need to see a GP in order to arrange a routine appointment. The Health Visitors' pages can also be found in this section.
Please remember to inform us if you move house, or change your telephone number or email address. You may do this either in person via Reception, or alternatively, use the button below to inform us electronically.
We would also like you to tell us whether we can use you mobile number to send text messages to. This might be to remind you of your appointment time, or to ask you to call us about something important. We will never use your number to send any confidential medical information, or spam, so if you would like to use this service, please use the button below to give your consent.
You may also like to update your clinical record, including things like your current smoking status, weight etc, by using the appropriate button below. All information sent electronically via this website is securely encrypted through SSL technology, and will remain entirely confidential.
(Site updated 21/10/2020)